Monday, January 05, 2009

New Year’s Resolution

Hi everyone,

I’m back from hibernation (Vancouver has received an unusual amount of snow this year – very odd given that I had seen only 2 mm of snow during my first winter here, three years ago!).

I’d like to kick-off the year with a post that might lead some people (and organizations) to take a few resolutions for 2009: the results to my poll the low participation rate to PS Renewal-related websites.

(Click on the image for the full size graph)

Based on the results, it looks like the 24 respondent were very honest in their assessment. The top three reasons for low participation are:
  1. People are afraid of getting in trouble if they write something on those sites (54%);
  2. People don't take the time to comment and provide input (46%);
  3. Learned helplessness (38%).
So tell me: how can these three reasons be mitigated, both individually and at the organizational level? Now make it a New Year’s Resolution!

It is interesting to see how the wording of the question influences the results. A few months ago, I had conducted another poll where I asked: “How do you feel about discussing the public service of Canada and/or PS Renewal on websites, blogs, discussion forums, Facebook, etc.?” 75% of the respondents claimed to be comfortable discussing PS Renewal on the Web, which left me a bit perplexed given the low participation.

In my latest poll, 54% of the respondents said one of the reason for the low participation on PS Renewal-related websites is that “people” (not them) “are afraid of getting in trouble if they write something on those sites”. Hum…

As for my own resolutions, I plan (oooh! bad sign already!) to post more articles in 2009. I have quite a few somewhat “controversial” postings in the works, and lots of interesting links to share. I’m also working on my next “big” paper, as I have indicated previously, which will be on the topic of management and leadership.

If I have any wish for 2009, it is to get more comments on my blog!

P.S.: If you haven't read it already, I highly recommend you check out "Scheming Virtuously", Nick and Mike enlightening paper. It reminds me a lot of Bob Chartier's work, and it is in a way the missing piece to my presentation on "Bottom-Up Change" (see Sean's comment on the lack of concrete example, which is a criticism I have received a few times before regarding this presentation).

No comments: